Moving posts between blogs

I have a multisite setup running here but I largely use one blog for just about everything, ranging from (things like this) WordPress, to applications and shortcuts, through to personal posts about travel, and my family and children.

In the multisite setup I have several blogs. Mostly the are concepts or ideas that never really took off (like dav3 on wordpress).

It has now got to the stage where I want to merge a few of these together, and maybe separate out some others (more about the merging all the blogs into just two or three—probably two).

I’ve been thinking in my head how I would achieve this and finally today I did a google search on it. The very first post came up with what sounds to be a solution and breaks it into three parts, and I’m going to add a fourth.

  1. On blog 1. Export the posts.
  2. On blog 2. Import the posts.
  3. On blog 1. Create permanent redirects for the pages you now have on blog 2.
  4. On blog 1. Delete the posts you no longer want there.

You probably didn’t even know you could do this. I know I didn’t. I know that I’d seen the Tools before, but I’d never really given it consideration. Until I read Andreas Rennick’s post over on

I did add step 3 just on the supposition that someone finds your post to the old blog somewhere but can no longer find it because you have deleted it. Setting up a quick redirect to handle such a scenario will 1) get them to the post/place they need, 2) allow them to find more relevant stuff in your new blog, and 3) help to update the search engine that got them there in the first place.

Thanks Andrea for making the simple so obvious.

I’ll post again, or update this post when I do it myself with how (easily?) it went :)


wordpress 3.6, blockui.js problem and sidebar login

I upgraded to WordPress 3.6 the other day and immediately got the flowing error:

“error 3.6 blockUI requires jQuery v1.2.3 or later!”

Actually, that’s not the exact error I got, the exact error included version numbers of the current and the required versions. The odd thing being the current version was higher than the required version, but computers (and how they read numbers vs strings) got it all wrong.

I have a ton of plugins installed and took a stab in the dark at sidebar login (it’s one of the few that I use across multiple sites).

It was updating this plugin (for me) that resolved the issue

WordPress and “You do not have sufficient permissions to access this page.”

W LOGOUPDATE: It’s amazing the number of hits this page gets, where people get this (or a very similar) error and this has helped them. I’m very glad this helped, but I just want to add, this page is more than 3 years old now and although the logic is simple here, remember it is old and “things” may change (eg, plugin folder name, or how plugins are managed to name just two). I hope this helps you. Good luck

Years ago I hand-coded my first website, and sometimes I still do the odd bit of dabbling like that. But these days there are so many great content management systems (CMS) out there, that really, why bother. I use to use Druple, and I have nothing against that, but a while back now I migrated to WordPress…. All was fine until…

The other day I upgraded using their backend and I lost all permissions. Any guest could use the site as normal, there were no problems there, but I couldn’t login. It took a few days searching on the web (without luck) and eventually, I jumped back into cpanel, and phpmyadmin and started digging.

The solution was a lot simpler than what I had envisioned.

During the update process, one of the plugins caused havoc in the backend, and when trying to display the dashboard, the plugin was breaking privileges. First I had to work out, which plugin it was, and if in fact if it was a plugin that was the cause. As it turned out, it was, and this is how I found it:

1. created a new folder called “old_plugins” *
2. moved all the plugins from the “plugins” folder to the “old_plugins folder” *
3. logged in – sweet – I was allowed and all appears good
4. visit the plugins page (you will get a warning that your plugins have been deactivated since they can’t be found.
5. put the plugins back into their original directory *
6. reactivate each plugin until you find the faulty one. For me it was a google reader plugin for the dashboard, which I never used anyway – so it’s now gone!

Once you find the faulty plugin, you’ll get the permission error again, simply go back to your ftp or file manager (I just used cpanel) and move the faulty plugin out…

* You could probably have just renamed the plugins folder, visited the plugins page, re-renamed the plugins folder, and gone through the reactivation process that way, this is just the way I did it.

also (cross)-posted at

Subpages widget

Alper Haytabay had created a subpages widget that was pretty much exactly what I was after (for another site I was working on). I found one flaw that prevented the widget from displaying nicely. In fact, the flaw didn’t appear to come from the widget but rather some other anomaly I could not determine the origin of.

The problem only occurs when the widget is displayed in it’s own sidebar. If there are no sub-pages to the current page the sidebar (which should be empty – and hence not displayed) appears. I could not seem to find a way to override this so I created a little addition to the existing code. If there are no subpages, display a small (user-defined) tagline instead. I made one other change to include this widget on all pages/posts so that if there are no subpages, the tagline will always be present.

I don’t use this widget on this site, but an example appears here

The widget (my version) can be found here: subpages-widget