WordPress MultiSite & sunrise.php

Are you getting the above error message as well?

After doing a fresh install and enabling multi-sites I couldn’t see the Domain Mapping and Domains sub-menu options under Network Admin / Settings.

I loaded up my trusty editor and confirmed

define('SUNRISE', 'on' );

was in fact in the file. It was slightly higher than where it said, it’s not important, but I moved it anyway, and I still got the error.

I checked and sunrise.php was in fact in the correct location under /home/public_html/wp-content/sunrise.php

So how did I fix it?

The problem was, it was the incorrect (read:old??) sunrise.php file!

Copy the correct one from:

/home/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wordpress-mu-domain-mapping/sunrise.php

and replace the previous one, and reload your admin page. You will now see the welcoming domains page :D

If you want to find out more as to why it happened, and how it is that my sunrise.php got “moved” or “re-moved”, it was due to a conflict by domain mapping plugins. I’ll be blogged about it in the near future and it will appear here (currently in draft and not published).

WordPress MU Domain Mapping missing

Screenshot 2014-12-02 05.39.14

Screenshot 2014-12-02 05.55.36
Domain Mapping and Domain options returned

When upgrading from version 0.5.4.3 to 0.5.4.4 and returning to the network admin site, I had lost all access to the domain management tools. The options normally reside under Settings (right) were no longer there. A quick check of some domains I have setup through domain mapping confirmed that it was still working, ie things were being redirected, however I couldn’t check, change, add or remove any mappings. I couldn’t see them at all.

I went into the Network Admin plugins page to find the plugin hadn’t re-enabled itself after the update. As far as I know, this is the first time any plugin has failed to reactivate. If this was by design, a few moments of stress would have been alleviated if some user warning could have been provided.

After re-enabling the plugin, all domain maps were right where they should have been.

WordPress and “You do not have sufficient permissions to access this page.”

W LOGOUPDATE: It’s amazing the number of hits this page gets, where people get this (or a very similar) error and this has helped them. I’m very glad this helped, but I just want to add, this page is more than 3 years old now and although the logic is simple here, remember it is old and “things” may change (eg, plugin folder name, or how plugins are managed to name just two). I hope this helps you. Good luck

Years ago I hand-coded my first website, and sometimes I still do the odd bit of dabbling like that. But these days there are so many great content management systems (CMS) out there, that really, why bother. I use to use Druple, and I have nothing against that, but a while back now I migrated to WordPress…. All was fine until…

The other day I upgraded using their backend and I lost all permissions. Any guest could use the site as normal, there were no problems there, but I couldn’t login. It took a few days searching on the web (without luck) and eventually, I jumped back into cpanel, and phpmyadmin and started digging.

The solution was a lot simpler than what I hadĀ envisioned.

During the update process, one of the plugins caused havoc in the backend, and when trying to display the dashboard, the plugin was breaking privileges. First I had to work out, which plugin it was, and if in fact if it was a plugin that was the cause. As it turned out, it was, and this is how I found it:

1. created a new folder called “old_plugins” *
2. moved all the plugins from the “plugins” folder to the “old_plugins folder” *
3. logged in – sweet – I was allowed and all appears good
4. visit the plugins page (you will get a warning that your plugins have been deactivated since they can’t be found.
5. put the plugins back into their original directory *
6. reactivate each plugin until you find the faulty one. For me it was a google reader plugin for the dashboard, which I never used anyway – so it’s now gone!

Once you find the faulty plugin, you’ll get the permission error again, simply go back to your ftp or file manager (I just used cpanel) and move the faulty plugin out…

* You could probably have just renamed the plugins folder, visited the plugins page, re-renamed the plugins folder, and gone through the reactivation process that way, this is just the way I did it.

also (cross)-posted at wordpress.dav3.net